Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Something amazing

Fall is here and with fall brings some wonderful vegetables. I am sad to say goodbye to watermelon I must say. I had one in my fridge every day this summer but nothing lately. I miss it. So now we welcome the squash and pumpkin. In no way is that a bad thing. I love butternut squash. I went through a phase when we were living in Iowa City where I had a closet full of them at all times. It was ridiculous. I love to steam it and just each it with a little salt. So delightful. My latest recipe that I created is going to be my new go to this fall season. All I did was peel and cube my butternut. I made some cracked wheat which is so easy. Rinse it really well, put it in a bowl ( I used a cup or so). Pour boiling water over it until it's a little over the top of it. Cover it in saran wrap and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Make sure you have enough water because as the wheat soaks up the water it will expand. You can always drain it so it's better to have more. In a pan I sauteed two shallots and two small cloves of garlic in a little canola oil. So that's it. Combine the squash with all of that and there you have it. An amazing side or meal. I love it. I ate it alone, but you could use it as a side, maybe add some slivered almonds to give it some crunch. I added two small green onions. It makes you really realize how simple good food can be. I am looking forward to eating more of it tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Blogger didn't give me your email address, and I wanted to make sure you saw I responded to your question regarding the Turkey Bean Pumpkin Chili on my blog. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    And PS, I agree, butternut squash is SO simple and delicious! In fact I just made a new butternut squash recipe today. I hope to get it up on my blog within the next two weeks, so stayed tune!

    ReplyDelete