Sesame Brown Rice Salad with Shredded Chicken and Peanuts from Cooking Light
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Transfer rice to a large bowl; fluff with a fork. Cool. Add chicken, carrot, onions, 2 tablespoons peanuts, 2 teaspoons cilantro, and salt to rice; toss to combine.
Combine juice and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle oil mixture over rice mixture; toss to combine. Place 1 1/2 cups salad on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons remaining peanuts and 1/4 teaspoon remaining cilantro. Yummmmm! So good.
I did change this one ever so slightly. I used fresh ginger and fresh pineapple. Instead of pistachios I used toasted slivered almonds because I already had some. I have to say I thought the fresh pineapple thing was really a good choice the first day. Second day it was kind of soggy, so maybe the dried pineapple was a better bet. Either way, I loved it. If you don't mind it being a little more moist, then go for the fresh pineapple. It's a much healthier choice.
Quinoa Salad with Toasted Pistachios and Dried Pineapple
from Cooking Light
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup shelled, chopped pistachios (about 1 ounce)
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken breast, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped dried pineapple
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Boil water in a small saucepan. Add quinoa. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes. (I always use my rice cooker when cooking any grain and it comes out great like that. Use the white rice setting.)
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped pistachios, and cook 2 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring frequently. Transfer pistachios to a large bowl; add cooked quinoa and remaining ingredients to bowl. Toss gently to coat.
Blueberry Cream Cheese RollsMadison Mayberry From Every Day with Rachael Ray May 2009
Prep Time: 25 min (plus rinsing)
Bake Time: 25 min
1. Combine 1/4 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and the yeast; let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in 1 1/4 cups milk, the egg and the yeast mixture. Gradually add the flour at low speed. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Place in a greased bowl and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight to let rise.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the confectioners' sugar, cream cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons milk.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12-by-16-inch rectangle. Spread the blueberry preserves on the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Roll up lengthwise and seal the edges. Slice into 12 pieces and place in the pan cut sides up. Bake until golden-brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Top with the cream cheese icing.