Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Facebook Page



My friend Jennifer talked me into starting a facebook page to post my recipes too so I have been trying to do a little of both here. I find it easier to post entire recipes to this blog, but want to show people the delicious things I am making on facebook. I will start to post my blog address for people to find the recipes.
Today for lunch I made a Quinoa and corn salad with toasted pumpkin seeds from a favorite cookbook of mine called Power Foods. I added black beans to mine and used half of a red onion in place of the green onion because I didn't have them on hand. They were way too strong. I should have minced them smaller and used less. I am thinking of added some lime zest too so I can get more of that lime flavor. It makes a ton of dressing. I don't like to put too much on because quinoa can get really mushy. I can't stand a mushy salad. So I drizzled maybe a 1/4 of the dressing on in the end. Super healthy and the kids actually ate some of it. Yeah!
The actual recipe was not found by me online for the link to it so this link is to another gals site who made it and posted it. I just don't have the time in my day to type out every recipe I make. She made hers a little different down in the bottom where she starts to assemble it. I actually only made one cup of quinoa. I wanted the ratios to be a little even with veggies to grains being equal. I do 1 c rinsed quinoa with a little under two cups of water. I have a rice cooker that I make mine in on the white rice setting. Love it. I use my rice cooker at least twice a week if not more. I've had it for years and it's an amazing machine. Perfect rice/quinoa every time!
Found a great write up on Power Foods if you are at all interested in that book. I love it. It's from the writers of Whole Living which is a division of Martha Stewart. I get the magazine too! I love this book so much. http://www.everydiet.org/diet/power-foods

For dinner last night I made another Everyday Foods recipe. I love these recipes because they don't require a bunch of bottled/packaged foods. Almost everything in them is a whole food. Love that. It's really easy for me to make them gluten free and almost all of them are naturally healthy.

Stir Fry Chicken with Bok Choy
adapted from the magazine Everyday Food

1/4 low sodium soy sauce
1 T rice vinegar
2 t light brown sugar
1 lb chicken breast or thigh meat cut into 1 inch cubes or sliced
4 t corn starch
2 T vegetable oil (I used my new favorite which is grapeseed oil-better for you)
2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
2 t peeled minced fresh ginger
4 c bok choy sliced from one head
1 small red chile or jalapeno seeded and diced
rice for serving (I used noodles)

In a small bowl combine soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and 3T water. (I thought the sauce was a little weak so I wouldn't add the water next time or reduce it) Whisk. In a medium bowl combine chicken with the corn starch and toss to coat. In a large wok or skillet add oil cook garlic and ginger until fragrant about 1 minute. Add chicken and cook about 6-8 minutes. Add the bok choy and cook 1 minute or until wilted. Add the sauce and cook two minutes more. Serve over rice or noodles.



No comments:

Post a Comment