Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Scones-even if you don't think you like scones


So, I have only had one scone in my life. I had always heard they were so dry and lacking in flavor. Well, I have to be honest with you, I made these on a total whim because I saw the maple flavoring at Super Target while browsing the spices. I love the flavor of maple. We had already made two things from Baked New Frontiers in Baking and I knew I couldn't go wrong. Having made three amazing things from this book now, I am fully convinced and totally going to buy it, unless my husband decides to get it for me for Valentines Day. I may have to hint around.

So here it is. The recipe for the most amazing scones, and even if you have never made anything like this in your life, you can totally do it. I did. I have never done anything like it and they were so so simple. We had some leftover buttermilk from the cheddar biscuits that we made and I didn't want it to go to waste. Please let me know your feedback if you try them out. They are so amazing. Oh, and for the icing, I just used a little of the maple flavoring and a little milk. We don't have pure maple syrup at our house. Don't use that cheap stuff. It won't taste right. So, enjoy!

Maple Walnut Scones
Adapted from
Baked New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito
Makes 12

4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t kosher salt
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of unsalted butter (3 sticks) cubed and chilled
1 large egg
1 c buttermilk
2 t maple extract
1 c toasted walnuts chopped
1/4 raw sugar

icing
1/2 c pwd sugar
2 T plus 2 t pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 and line the baking sheet with parchment ( I used greased wax paper because I didn't have the parchment)
In a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. Whisk until combined.

Add the butter and using your fingertips rub the butter into the flour until it becomes pea sized.

In an separate bowl whisk the egg, 3/4 c buttermilk and the extract. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry and then gently knead the dough with your hands until the dough starts to come together. Add the walnuts and knead gently to incorporate. Move the dough to a slightly floured surface and shape the dough into two discs about 1 1/2 inches in height. Do not overwork.

Cut each disc into 6 wedges with a knife. Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush each with the remaining buttermilk and then sprinkle with the raw sugar. Bake in the center of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.

Line a baking sheet with parchment (or wax) paper. Place the wire rack with the cooled scones over the baking sheet.
Whisk together the powdered sugar and maple syrup until the mixture is smooth. Slowly pour the glaze over the scone in a zig zag pattern.
Allow the glaze to sit for about 10 minutes and serve.

You know, as I was reading this recipe I realized that I only used 2 1/2 sticks of butter. I remember thinking I needed three and only had two and two nubs in the fridge that ended up equaling 2 1/2 exactly. I must have been thinking about how it called for 1 and half cups of butter and in my mind I got all mixed up. Anyhow, they turned out amazing. Maybe that's why. I don't know. I would be interested in trying them the correct way to see the difference. You try it either way. All I know, is that mine turned out perfect. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment