Monday, March 2, 2009

Sloppy Joes and Potato Salad



Jason decided to make sloppy joes for his sunday meal. This was a recipe I had been wanting to try for some time now. It was from the new Food Network Magazine. Of course I subscribed. How could I not. I am about to tattoo their logo on my body for crying out loud. I am a freak for them. I was really happy with how they came out. You could really taste the wine in them. They were very rich and had a deep flavor. I noticed that they were really heavy and seemed really oily. I didn't think sloppy joes were typically like that so I asked him how much oil was in them. "1/4 cup," he replied. I thought I was going to faint. Oh, my God. Why? This is just an obscene amount of oil and it would have been just fine with the typical 2 tablespoons. I would highly recommend using very little oil in this recipe if you try to make it because it doesn't need it. Unless you don't care about adding an extra 112 grams of fat to the recipe which I about freaked out when I realized. I am making him eat the leftovers. To be honest with you, I really wanted to cry when I noticed this because I really was looking forward to the leftovers. I just can't bring myself to eat something like that again. I am crying right now thinking about it. I will make it again though and make it my way. They healthy way. So here it is. Enjoy. Following the recipe is a potato salad recipe I found and make from Rachael Ray. It was so so good. Since I try to cook healthy I was very happy to find this recipe. Enjoy.

Sloppy Joes with Maui Onion Straws

Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri for Food Network Magazine

For the Sloppy Joes:

  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined and diced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
  • 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 24 slider rolls or sweet Hawaiian rolls

For the Onion Straws:

  • 2 cups canola oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 sweet onion (Maui or Vidalia)

Directions

Prepare the sloppy joes: In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, combine the canola oil, bell peppers, jalapeno and onion; cook for 5 minutes. Add the beef and pork; cook thoroughly, breaking up the meat as it browns. Add the garlic. Depending on the amount of residual grease, you may need to drain some of the fat from the pan. Deglaze with the red wine, then stir in the remaining sloppy joe ingredients (except the rolls) and season with 1 tablespoon each salt and freshly ground pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. If the sauce gets too thick as it simmers, add up to 1 cup water to adjust the consistency. Toast the rolls and set aside.

Meanwhile, prepare the onion straws: In a medium sauce pot, heat the oil to 350 degrees. Whisk the egg and milk in a medium bowl. Mix the flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper in another medium bowl. Cut the onion in half, then slice into -inch-thick half rings; separate into short straw-like pieces. Add to the milk mixture to soak.

Once the oil is hot enough, remove the onions from the milk mixture, shake off excess and dredge in the flour mixture, 4 or 5 pieces at a time. Add to the pot and fry until golden brown; transfer to paper towels to drain.

Serve the sloppy joes on the toasted rolls and top with onion straws.

I only used potatoes in this salad with some diced green onions and some fresh basil. It was amazing. To be honest with you I didn't measure anything either. I wasn't making 2lbs worth of potatoes so I just made a small amount. Drizzled in some olive oil, squeezed in some honey and hot yellow mustard with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and the vinegar. I just tasted it and adjusted it to my liking.

Honey Dijon Potato Salad

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2008

Show: 30 Minute MealsEpisode: Simmer Down Summer

Ingredients

  • 2 to 2 1/2-pounds small red skin potatoes, quartered
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons cider or white wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6 radishes, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
  • 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
  • 3 to 4 ribs celery from the heart of the stalk, chopped
  • 1 cup watercress tops or flat leaf parsley leaves coarsely chopped

Directions

Cover potatoes with cold water, bring to a boil and salt the water. Boil potatoes until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain.

Meanwhile, combine the honey, Dijon, and vinegar in a bowl then slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. To the bowl add radishes, capers, onions, celery, watercress or parsley and hot potatoes. Using a wooden spoon break up the potatoes into large chunks. Toss the potato salad, adjust salt and pepper then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment