Friday, April 3, 2009

I'm back


So I am finally back from New York and ready to post some more recipes. I really enjoyed being cooked for, for a change while on our trip. Plus Lucy was with grandma which means that I could just sit and eat my food and not have to worry about her at the same time. That was a nice change of pace. We did so much eating and I will post all of that soon. I want to post a few things that I have made since I have been back too though. I made a really great quinoa salad. Yummy. I just wanted to make something really nourishing for my body. I felt like while I was on this trip I really put a lot of food into my body that I am not used to and it was really out of whack. So I am back in the swing of things again and I feel great. So here it is. I made this one up myself. Enjoy.

Liz's Quinoa Salad

1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water or stock of your choice
Cook the quinoa according to the package. I always use my rice cooker on the white rice setting because I can never get it to turn out otherwise.
1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
1 red pepper diced
3-4 green onions diced green parts only minced
a handful of cilantro minced
1 mango diced
1 avocado diced
1 jalapeno diced seeds and membrane removed to control heat
1 lime zest and juice
2 cloves of garlic minced or passed through a garlic press
1 T olive oil
1 t cumin
salt and pepper
1 t chipotle chili powder
1 t ancho chili powder
If you don't have or want to get either of these or just have one it's totally fine. It will still taste good if you use regular chili powder. I like the smokiness these bring to food. I got mine at Super Target if you are looking for them. They are totally versatile so don't think you won't use them again. You can use them any time chili powder is called for and it makes great chili. The chipotle is a little hotter than the ancho so if you don't like heat just reduce it a little.

Mix all of the ingredients together and refridgerate. It's a good idea to mix the spices and what not separate as to combine them well.
You could totally add chicken or tofu to this and make it a meal. Or make it a meal like this. It makes about 5-6 servings or 4 main dish servings. It's really amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment