Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Killer salad

So, I have been in a real slump lately eating. Not eating the best. Out of frustration I decided to make a chopped salad for dinner and I have to tell you it was the best salad ever. I totally free styled too. Then I had this dressing planned out and when I opened my cupboard to find my balsamic vinegar, it was gone. What did I do? Freaked out and then improvised only to create the best dressing of my life. I don't know how I do it but I am going to guess it's from all of the cook books I read and my obsession with food.

Salad
1 head of romaine
3 chicken breasts grilled (marinade follows)
1 red pepper roasted and peeled or bottled roasted peppers
2 green onions green parts only
1 large avocado
1 large tomato

Chop it all up and toss together until evenly combined. I chopped up each thing separately but you could do it all at once it you want to get crazy.

Marinade I used
juice of one lemon, two cloves of garlic minced, two sprigs of rosemary, couple sprigs of thyme, salt, lots of pepper, 1/4 or so of olive oil, and a couple splashes of white wine vinegar
Marinate the chicken for about half the day for full flavor. I grilled mine on a grill pan for 4 minutes per side. I had also pounded them flat with a meat tenderizer so the cooking time was less. You will need to cook it longer otherwise.

Dressing
6 T olive oil
2 T sherry vinegar
salt
pepper
1 large clove garlic minced
leaves of rosemary from one sprig
one small squirt of dijon
tsp of oregano (I used Mexican oregano)
a pinch of sugar
puree it all and enjoy. This is the best freaking dressing I have ever tasted. It really just took my salad to a whole nother lever. I am an idiot because I didn't take a picture of this beautiful salad. I am making one again tonight so if I remember I will take a picture and post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment