Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Awesome Crock Pot Recipe


So I am trying not to make any repeater meals and am doing really well so far. I just went through a bunch of my recipes and found this one and thought I would give it a shot. I have to say, I am really excited about it. It was really really tasty. I was kind of wondering about it since there really are no spices or anything in it. Really simple, but really really tasty. I have to say, I did add about 4 small cloves of garlic. I am a garlic girl I must say. So here it is.

Slow Cooker Hoppin John Chowder
adapted from allrecipes.com

1 1/2 c rice (I used brown rice)
1 pound ground sirloin or other beef of choice
1 large green bell pepper chopped
1 chopped onion
3-4 cloves garlic minced
2 (15.5 oz) cans black eyed peas with liquid
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed beef broth
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (I used mild)

Cook the onions and garlic in the pan with some drizzled olive oil. When they are starting to soften after a few minutes add the beef. Don't cook completely, just until it isn't pink anymore. Place into the crock pot. Add the diced green pepper on top of that and then dump all of your canned goods in, followed by the beef broth. I bought a carton of broth so I used a little more. You want the liquid to cover everything but not more than that. If you want it really soupy add more. If you don't have enough beef broth just use a little water. Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours.

Cook your rice and serve this over it. It is so so yummy and flavorful. Happy leftovers to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment