Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lucy's Yogurt Blueberry Muffins


Me and Lucy bought a big container of fresh blueberries at Sam's Club and decided to make some blueberry muffins. She was so excited and really helped me do everything. It was a lot of fun. This is the recipe we used. They turned out really moist. There wasn't a lot of sugar in them so feel free to add more if you like. I like a less sweet muffin myself and the blueberries lend a nice sweetness to them alone. I did use some whole wheat flour because I was almost out of white. I used part white and part wheat. I was a little worried about how they would come out but it was just fine. Feel free to experiment yourself with this. They will probably just be a little more crumbly as whole wheat tends to do this to baked goods. I also added the zest of one lemon. It worked beautifully with the tangyness of the yogurt. Another thing you could do to add sugar without adding sugar directly is use vanilla yogurt. That would be really tasty. Enjoy.

Lucy's Yogurt Blueberry Muffins

1 2/3 c all purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
salt
1 egg
1/2 c sugar
5 T vegetable oil
1/2 c plain yogurt ( I added more for more moistness, just eyeballed it until the batter seemed moist enough for me )
the zest of one lemon
1/2-3/4 cup of fresh blueberries tossed in flour

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with liners or grease.
Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together with the lemon zest.
Beat the egg in one bowl then adding the oil, yogurt, and sugar.
Stir in the dry ingredients. Make sure to fold the blueberries in carefully or you will end up with a purple batter. Fill the muffin tins no more than 3/4 full. Bake on the middle rack for 15-20 minutes. Mine took almost the full time because of my extra yogurt making them more moist. It's always good to check though before 20 minutes. You don't want to overbake them. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. I also sprinkled mine with some sugar on top before baking. It's best if you can find sanding sugar or large grain sugar. That way it adds a nice crunch to the top. The blueberries are amazing in this. They literally burst in your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment